Book Club Discussion Questions for Caron's Novels
Discussion Questions for THE LIES WE KEEP:
- Have you ever felt like escaping your life? Why does Alex feel the only way out is to escape? Why not just divorce and start fresh?
- Have you ever wondered about 9/11 and if any people who were supposed to be in the towers but weren't, walked away instead, and let their families think they died? What other reasons could there be for someone to fake their death?
- Why do you think Carlos, Alex's boss at the restaurant pays him under the table? Do you think he suspects Alex is hiding? Why would he help him?
- Why is Daniel so effected by what his mother says when he admits to her what he did when Brian needed help? Why doesn't he go to his father or Brian's parents?
- Was Margaret still in love with Daniel? Is that why she knew it was him? Had she held out hope that he was still alive?
- Why did Margaret turn to Michael and so soon into her marriage to Daniel?
- Was Margaret naive and sheltered? Or did you find her to be cunning and deceptive? Or was she all of those things?
- Do you think Henry will ever find out the truth of what happened in Sedona between Margaret and Daniel? Or do you think he already knew somehow and chose to stand by his wife anyway?
- Did Jacob see Daniel? How will finding out his dad was alive affect his future?
- Will he be able to forgive his dad? Even with the tragic assault Daniel committed in the barn against Sonia?
- Why did Sonia try to hurt Alex in the end?
- Do you think Daniel found peace at the end of his life?
- Do you think Daniel went to heaven or hell? Or neither?